Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Art as a Window on the World

Kristin Reiber Harris
www.KristinHarrisDesign.com

Play art and celebrate world cultures!

Get a sneak preview of soon to be release app I Can Do That! A Kids World Art Game 




After many months in development, our new app "I Can Do That! A Kids World Art Game" will soon be released. The lengthy development time is due to a number of factors. 


Learning more about what works

The more time I get under the hood of my development tool, Demibooks Composer Studio, the more fun I have experimenting with the huge range of options available in this accessible tool. I need to be actively involved in the programming so that I understand what is possible. It's also like a huge puzzle I love trying to solve. I have an idea of an interactive feature I want to include in the app, but can I and how? New features are being added regularly with each upgrade.

Looking at what other developers are doing well

I review apps for Parents' Choice Foundation and download as many apps as I can justify that catch my fancy. I learn something from each one. Perhaps it's that I really don't like anything about it (rarely) or something major like a good way to handle parent gates or a style of illustration. One recent example of a wonderful interface and illustration is Petites chose. More about that another time. I love to learn by example and as we all know there are plenty of examples out there and many, many of them stellar.

Time perusing art museum websites for appropriate work

This is one of my favorite activities. I have spent many happy hours/days perusing online museum collections, finding those perfect objects that will delight young children. I  have a number of favorites, Brooklyn Museum, National Gallery of Art, Portland Art Museum, LACMA. For this project I also found images from new-to-me online collections at the Walters Art Museum and Yale University Art Gallery. Other wonderful resources are Getty and OpenGlam (public domain collections all over the world).

Celebrate art as window on the world. Watch for the release of I Can Do That! A Kids World Art Game.








No comments:

Post a Comment