Sunday, January 31, 2016

Art for Kids on the Streets of Brooklyn

I was really lucky. I grew up on an old farm outside of a major city, Washington, D.C. I live in a small town now but get to big cities as often as I can. One reason is I love to be inspired by the art I see as I wander around.

Art in the City 


I just spent 6 days in Brooklyn. I discovered this mural at Union and Fifth Ave, just a short walk from my hotel. This is the work of Kate Wilkes. On her website, brooklynbelltower.com you can see her collection of artwork about Brooklyn.


 I didn't realize when I saw this mural that I would be visiting this monument, the Soldiers' and Sailors' Arch right by the Brooklyn Public Library and Prospect Park. The reason I was there was because of this building below. I had driven by and had to get back for a better look.

Architecture as Art 
 
Main branch, Brooklyn Public Library
Isn't this spectacular? I love libraries but how's this for enticing kids into the magic realm of books and all the other services provided by the library? In fact the building is designed to look like an open book. The doorway is on the "spine".

I got a few images of the panels on the door. My guess is that this references the poem Wynken, Blynken and Nod by Eugene Field. 

Here is another door panel I really liked. Could this be Br'er Rabbit and the Tar Baby?

More Murals

I want to share two other artworks from my visit. This was part of a mural on Nevins at Union. I love the rich colors and rather haunting expression on the owl's face.
 
Small part of a mural at Nevins and 3rd Ave

The icing on the cake, or rather the ice cream in the cone were images on the outside of the Ample Hills Creamery at Nevins and Union. Too bad it was way too cold to even be tempted to have a cone. Next time.




The creamery was a business I passed many times during my recent stay in Brooklyn. One humorous conversation I overheard was a young boy wishingfully hoping he'd get ice cream sometime in the next year. That family was one of so very many I saw going about their days on the streets of Brooklyn, surrounded by artwork and inspiration.
 

Street Art in Your Neighborhood?
What inspires you and your kids in your neighborhood?

Visit our website at KristinHarrisDesign.com to learn about our apps and subscribe to these posts via email.

ABC.DC: An Art Alphabet
Duck Takes A Ride: An Art Story
I Can Do That! A World Art Game
Bees Buzz & Lions Roar/Las abejas zumban y los leones rugen:Animal stories  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment